Monday, January 09, 2006

First Day of Class...

Today was day one. I have five classes on one days and two on two days (our revolving schedule). As you all know, I assume, I am an international relations major (which means, I like to read and write, not do math). My only major course this semester is Political Analysis which, I come to find out, is statistics. Ugh...what a bitch. The rest of my classes are all mandatory West Point BS; PE, Military Science, English, Info Tech (programming) Environmental Engineering and Psychology (military psych to be exact).

I walked into my military science class and realized I was in the wrong room, but, luckily, I was early. I walked into the next room and asked the Lieutenant Colonel there (that's one rank down from Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men for those of you who don't know rank...oh, and keep that image in mind...) who I asked, "Sir, may I see the roster to make sure I'm in this section?" He looked at me and said gruffly, "Harmon? Yeah, you're mine...didn't you get the god-damned email? Sorry I didn't send a fucking engraved invitation. Sit down." Wow...good start. Keep in mind, of course, that this was about ten minutes before class started. So, in my attempts to be early and look good, instead, the two of us just sat there staring at each other silently. Eventually, the seats filled out, he shut the door and yelled, "First Sergeant, close the hatch! Clear your desks...hurry up, this is your time!" Yeah, a GDFing quiz on day one...seriously people (wow, that was something Claire of Al would say)...this guy was crazy.

He's an old tanker, he lost 60% of his hearing in his right ear and his leg is dead...no, for real. I can't tell if he's got a prosthetic leg or what, but he limps everwhere. He keeps his chin tucked into his chest so he has to look up at you all the time, regardless of height, and the second thing he told us was, "Be sure to bring professionally edifying reading because we don't get out early here! I will try to wring every goddamn minute of professional devlopment out of this godforsaken place as I can!" Oh, he also speaks in sentences just like good ol' Jack from A Few Good Men but with a very strong Rhode Island accent. So, all his O's become A's and the letter R is always pronounced as an H. I spent the entire class trying to look interesting and thinking "what the hell...I hate the military."

Then he looked at me and said, "Mr. Ha-man...don't you fand this in'tristin?" I looked confused and he said, "You should be fackin excited about this!" and then his head looked like it was going to pop and I thought...Damn...I can't wait till next lesson.

Oh, after that was a suprise run (schedule change) and when we got back, a freshman was waiting outside my door looking very nervous. I asked what was wrong and he said, "SGT Harmon...is it normal to pee blood after a long run?" (you'll have to excuse him, he was home studied). I said no and took him to the hospital where I sat waiting for him watching Golden Eye. I missed dinner too.

One day down, a bunch more to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home