Monday, January 02, 2006

Mas Random

I woke up at 530 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep...this is the second time my night has been interrupted with sleepless periods, the first being two nights ago when I didn't fall asleep until after watching two movies and making myself some quesadillas (which were rather good considering I had just bought three types of cheese, mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes and avocadoes) at three in the morning.

Anyway, the early rise allowed me some extra time to come back to the computer and read some blogs I hadn't read in a long time and start the new book I'm reading: Reason, Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America. I borrowed it from my Nina, who is also my personal hero. The premise of the book is that logic is on our side, and, since people will eventually always be persuaded by logic, the left must win in the end. I also picked up a new magazine I'm going to subscribe to titled "Tikkun" it's all about approaching politics with faith (faith...not religion) and creating a more just society. It is technically a Jewish magazine, but they extend the invitation to all people of faith. The new issue is titled, "Theocracy in America: Hostile Takeover"...the editors are also hosting a conference in DC, the second one now, to found a network of spiritual progressives. So, my interest is piqued...

I just read this awesome critique of a book about country music (Rednecks and Bluenecks) and want the book now...(I should add that I'm a huge Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash fan...)

I'm listening to the new Madonna CD and the following lyrics made me laugh out loud:

I don't like cities
But I like new york
Other places make me feel like a dork
Los Angeles is for people who sleep
Paris and London
Baby you can keep


I also bought a book with transcripts of Supreme Court hearings of many of the important cases, My Life by Bill Clinton and got East of Eden from Alex for Chiminea Day (a foundling holiday started by the Right Reverend Atkinson and his family).

For Christmas, I went to Joshua Tree National Park with my friend Pat. Neither of us had family around, so we did something mad cool instead and hiked to a natural oasis of California Palms. After that, we drove through the park and saw vast gardens of cacti and Joshua Trees...




it was awesome (and I'll post my own pictures as soon as I get them), then we made out our way to the afformentioned Reverends house for a Chiminea Day dinner and fireside chat.

There is plenty more to write about, but I'm hungry now and must run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home