Sunday, September 12, 2010

memories

David Guetta recorded a song with the lyrics, "All the crazy shit I did tonight--those will be the best memories for me. I just want to let it go for the night. That will be the best therapy."That song was my theme song before I left Austin and I was going crazy-go nuts, and this is my first weekend in Tucson that has measured up. (A quick aside, I remember my first weekend off after Basic Training. My friend Justin Beierman, from the midwest with a very Minnesota accent, came up to me to ask, "Hey, Harmon, are you going to lose your god-damned mind this weekend?" echoing one of our Drill Sergeants' favorite things to yell at us.)

It all started Friday night when I finally got to hang out with Will again. Our schedules and the geography make it fairly difficult for us to find time to hang out, but we were finally able to marry things up on Friday night. He had a couple of parties to attend and was nice enough to invite me along. So, I came out to Tucson and we went to dinnerand then we began the Tucson party circuit.

Here's where the weekend began to get interesting. I completely forgot that Will, being in college, has a different peer group than I, when it comes to age. The difference being...well...he has friends who aren't yet 21 and I have no for some time (well, minus one). Anyway, we went to the first party, a margarita mixer, was held at a really sweet apartment that was carved out of some spare square footage at a day-care center. Thismade things interesting when the cops showed up because someone called that people were "breaking into the day care center". So, the cops show up and there are a bunch of kids drinking and dancing in, what appears to be, a day-care center.
Will, his friend and I leave the day-care margarita mixer and head to house B for a house-warming for five college aged girls who just moved into a house. I could tell where this party was because the crowd had spilled onto the street about two doors down in either direction. I knew at this point it was probably NOT going to last too long. We grabbed a bottle of vodka I had purchased as a house warming gift and made out way in.

Before even making it to the door, we were approached by a drunk sentry co-ed (you know, the girl who's drunkenly decided it was her duty toensure no one else uninvited shows up, but who was simultaneously too drunk to walk straight or recognize a face). She asked who we were there to see, we told her, and she knew the girl. She looks back at the party and says, "um...it's not this house." We walk past her and into the party to be greeted by a rather adorable Tia and Tamara look alike who Will works with. She ushers us into the holy-of-holies of a College party--the hidden alcohol--where we beginto dole out shots of vodka to those deemed worthy.

There was a keg, which was floated, and promptly replaced by some benevolent kid and keg-stands began. I had never seen one of those up close...interesting. Anyway, Will went out to get some chapstick from the truck when suddenly people started to freak out. Apparently a cop had come. The doors were locked, cups were thrown away, alcohol was hidden and everyone sat down and tried to be very, very quiet. A guy who had passed out and people had written in marker all over his face didn't know what was going on and walked outside directly into the cop's perch where he was immediately ticketed. (I wonder if he was arrested, if they'd have cleaned off his face BEFORE the mug shot).

Anyway, we waited out the cops, and I took Will and his friend home.

The next morning began the UA/CItadel football game. I went to Caleb's house where I met his two friends from Oregon, AJ And Taylor. We made some vodka/lemonade drinks and began swimming. Taylor made guacamole which put mine to shame and we listened to GaGa while swimming and prepping ourselves for what we knew would be a football blowout. Sean, Stu, Caleb, Taylor, AJ and I then went to the tailgate party at the school. We met up with Ashley there and had some jello shots and I shotgunned my first beer (or, more appropriate, I had my first shotgunned beer), most of which ended up on my shirt.We went to the game for a bit and left early to go swimming again, and then...out to the bars.
The bars went as expected and afterwards, Will and I met up with his friends G, Lanie and Evyn. We were up until about four in the morning listening to techno, being dazzled by laser lights and otherwise just chillen. Lanie, was absolutely transfixed by the pomp with which a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue was packed (lined in silk, the bottle looks almost religious in its vestments).

There is much, much more to explain about that part of the night that I'd like to share, but will definitely need to keep close hold. Needless to say, it was another night of firsts and another night of memories.

Best part? We topped off the weekend with Brunch at the Rincon Market...DELICIOUS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home