Sunday, August 03, 2008

Television...

I haven't owned a TV in a while, so I've grown accustomed to a house devoid of the steady hum of a television. My roomate, however, is the opposite. There is a large television in the living room, one in the office, one in the guest room and one in his room. Upon entering the house, he turns on the TV in the living room before going to his room. Most of his time is spent in the living room where, even if he's on the internet, the television is on simply as background noise.

I don't think he actually watches the TV unless he's watching a DVD. I believe this for two reasons, the first being because he's normally doing something else (internet, phone, both) while sitting in front of it and because it rarely ever changes in station from the time it's turned on. Today was Bravo.

I thought I'd watch a bit as I cooked and ate dinner and this is what I saw over the two hours I spent in the kitchen and living room: 1. a show about cutting hair 2. a show about other shows 3. a show about rich kids in LA 4. a show about a rich guy in LA. Between these offerings were advertisements for other shows...about cooking, decorating, sewing, rich women in LA, and reality shows about one of the rich women from LA.

Seriously? Is this what people do for fun? Dear Lord I fear for the future.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Patrick and I solved the "TV always on" problem with a set of wireless headphones. He can hear the tv through the headphones and I can enjoy my silence, or as it usually turns out, walk around listening to political podcasts. Blocking each other out with soundwaves--the secret to cohabitational bliss!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I think this works if cohabitation is a combined effort. If you're just renting a room, you don't have many cards to play.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home