Monday, July 07, 2008

family and friends...

The past two weekends have seen a flurry of activity out my way with friends and relatives making the trek to Texas. It's been amazing and fun, but also tiring. This month is a heavy month of training for me and workdays have started earlier and lasted later. This, coupled with the weekend visits, has made me a very tired person.

Last weekend James, Claire and Alex came to visit me. We went tubing, drank beer and otherwise enjoyed each other's company. I would write more, but I believe there are maybe two people other than those who I just listed as being on the visit, so it would be a little unnecessary for me to explain the weekend to those who were here with me.

This weekend, my cousin Valeria and my Godson, Eli, came out. I haven't been around a baby in a long time (maybe toddler is better since he's 1.5 yrs old) and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Baby's are great, because they make you so happy when they smile and laugh. That laugh that children have that's just so pure and happy can make you smile even when they've kept you up all night crying or spilled milk all over the place...they laugh, and it seems as though everything in the world will be OK.

Valeria and I had a blast, but it was strange to me to imagine her as a mother. Even as I watched her do all the motherly things like warming milk, speaking baby jibberish or sucking boogers out of his nose, I can't help but think of her as the eighth grader I used to look up to when we were in elementary school. I talked to her for a while about this, and how for Eli, he will never be able to imagine her as doing anything other than being his mother.

I try to remember that when I talk to my own mom...that she's more than a mother, she's also just another person--a woman in the world trying to find her own happiness and her own life. It's difficult to do sometimes, but I think spending some time with Val has given me a point of reference I did not have before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home