Tuesday, February 12, 2008

job satisfaction...

Yesterday, I was ready to quit the Army. I didn't do much all day and had no opportunity to make a decision and the highlight was getting a Dining Facility. Today...Today I love it. I don't know why, but it fluctuates like that. I remember my first chaplain, Chaplain Engles I believe her name was. She was an Episcopilian (she was the first to tell us the joke, "You know what they say about Episcopilians right? When you have four Episcopilians, they have a fifth!") She had red hair and a strange cadence to her speach that sounded a bit like an adorable stroke victim (paraphrase from Fever Pitch). She told us that the Army was like a roller coaster. When you're at the top, you're really high (she demonstrated with her hand), but when you're low...you're low (she said this with her hand lowered and her head cocked to the side kind of swinging as if to say, "how sad and how low...tsk tsk tsk").

Today, I am up. I really can't say why. All I did was move some equipment, finish some paperwork and sit through a miserably boring class on how to fill out paperwork, but today, I am up. I feel like I could do this stuff forever and I am genuinely excited about getting my hands on the dining facility. I know it sounds silly, but I think I will feel accomplished if I can see the place get better. It will also give me more of an opportunity to work directly with soldiers, which will be nice. In any case...I have learned over the last seven years that when I have days like today to dwell on them and remember it. Tomorrow, who knows where on the roller coaster I'll be, but today I'm up, so I'll remember this to fill in the valleys.

2 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

i know EXACTLY what you mean - ill tell you when ur deployed, there is no grey area, its either WAY AWESOME! or a complete nightmare, and when its a nightmare you hate urself for being happy the day before.. its really strange.. but yeah dude, embrace the happiness while its around, and trust itll be back :)

8:02 AM  
Blogger beth said...

today is a happy day for me :-P

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home