Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day

Senior year, as I was walking to class, a freshman approached me because he had seen a picture of me with his older brother's best friend. His older brother, Matt, had been an Eagle with me. I told him his brother was a good guy and that I had fond memories of him and we parted ways. Until last night, that was the last I had thought about Matt. Last night, I found out Matt was killed in Afghanistan.

Another company mate of mine, and a friend of Matt's, recently was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross making him the seventh person to receive it since Vietnam. After being shot, he treated a fellow soldier, carried him to safety, was shot again, returned to save another soldier and waited help.


A comment was left on my last post asking how I commemorate Veteran's Day. I have been thinking about it ever since, wondering what it is I can do to commemorate Matt, what I could do to emulate Bryan and I can think of nothing. The service they have given, and in Matt's case, his life, is worth so much more than a day off or a parade...but that's not why they did what they did.


The other day, my friends were making fun of me because I was excited to see the Army-Rutgers game. One asked me why it is I like Army sports so much and I tried to explain to him that I feel the cadets deserve to win, that they had earned the joy they get whenever an Army team wins. Thinking about Matt's sacrifice and Bryan's actions I can more fully explain why I respect the cadets of WP as much as I do. They not only go to school, they go to school training for situations like Bryan faced and knowing they will risk sacrificing what Matt did. That is why I love the Army team.


So, to Bryan, congratulations, and for Matt...

Be Thou at Peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger moville said...

Very well said. I especially like those lines, "Be Thou at Peace." This is what they say in the UK when they remember fallen soldiers of the Great War and after:

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

That's the only real consolation: we will remember them.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

We sang that poem in glee club last year. It is beautifully set to music with only a horn to compliment the words. As for "Be thou at peace" they are word from our Alma Mater:

And when our work is done,
Our course on earth is run,
May it be said, "Well done,
Be thou at peace."

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home