Sunday, October 28, 2007

reality check

I have had people over almost three or four times a week to eat, drink and enjoy one another's company. I even bought extra plates, forks and red and white wine glasses to make it more enjoyable. The World Series has given us a lot of good times and the last couple of nights have been no exception. We've made italian chicken, queso dip, fresh guacamole, grilled bread w/ prosciutto, mozarella, tomato basil and avocaado (a must) and drank more than our share.

Last night there were maybe ten people in my room. My old roomate, Bill, who just arrived at Fort Huachuca was one of the newest additions. As the game went on, we drank and laughed and enjoyed ourselves, so, by the end, we all had mantained a nice level of intoxication for watching baseball. Local news followed the game and, as we were laughing and enjoying ourselves, suddenly a lady was on the television talking about soldiers returning from Iraq. Tucson just had a large return of soldiers and the news was covering their reunions with family. As the room grew quiet at the sound of her voice, the lady on television said, "It's a bitter-sweet reunion because we lost some soldiers we love over there and the unit will never be the same."

My friend Jeff broke the silence saying simply, "I don't want to die."

It was one of those moments where the reality of what we're studying and why we're here together hit home...instead of being academic or hypothetical, we realized that not only were quite a few of us going to Iraq or Afghanistan in six or seven weeks, but that any of us who do, Military Intel or not, run the risk of dying. Strange how, even here, sometimes we can forget that the war is a real thing happening to real people...right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger buckarooskidoo said...

I admire you for your dedication and commitment to defending the country and your fellow citizens, and for the guts and smarts it took to get through the Military Academy. If I had a hat on, I would take it off. I thought of trying back when they admitted the first class of women, but I already had two years invested in undergrad and I didn't think I'd be a very good soldier. I don't follow very well.
I only hope that we get a Commander-in-Chief next year that will value all of your lives and abilities a lot more than this President has done. He's thrown a lot of you into a hopeless quagmire basically on the strength of some quirky personal conviction and in outright defiance of a lot of wisdom and knowledge people TRIED to impart to him. As Commander-in-Chief, it seems to me that you have an obligation to make sure that when you DO call upon the armed forces, you equip them with a well-defined mission, a well-defined plan for the postwar and the benefit of all the relevant expertise on the country and conditions you can handle.
You guys have to salute this President, but you--all of us-- have the right to expect better, a LOT better.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home