Monday, February 19, 2007

President's Day Weekend...

I realize ahead of time that I cannot do justice to this weekend. Pat and I packed about a years worth of experiences into four days, starting with the moment we got into the car. I can't explain it all, but I'll put the photos that help to explain just a part of the experience up so you all can share in the journey...
The weekend began with a quick trip through Pennsylvania. Unbeknownst to us, the state had not hired anyone to plow the roads...any of them...since the blizzard. thus, every single freeway you see was not plowed.
We, driving the above pictured BMW tried our best to make our way. Finding ourselves stranded on a back road, with a flat tire and nowhere to go, we eventually got aid from a nice Pennsylvanian who showed us to a tire fixing place (pictured here) and a hotel/restaurant/bar to spend the night in.
We had dinner/breakfast/drinks/a room at the lovely Country Squire Inn. The bartender gave us the advice to check on the heat in our room before the manager left for the night. She also said that "no one ever gets out of Schuylkill" so she was impressed we were from WP. Beers were $1.25.

This video is a tour of the room we got, given by Doobs and myself. You may notice I say "ladies and gentlemens" That's because everyone in Schuylkill, PA called us "youz guyz" which I found funny.
This is the parking lot in front of the Country Squire Inn with me, giving the patented thumbs up!
Pat and I drove another five hours the next day. here is us finally getting on the freeway we spent a full day trying to escape. I swear, I thought I was in a Kafka novel for a while.

We finally made it to Southern VA where Ms. Danielle (pictured left) was celebrating her roommate's 21'st (roommate on right)
On the way home, I took some time to "drive" a piece of modern art on the campus.

After the bar, we went to the apartment. There, beer pong was played, southern rap was sung along with, and Pat and I made a hasty exit when controlled substances were not so controlled.


The next night was in DC w/ all the old army friends. Pictured above are Steve, my Basic Traning roomate, me, Adam (best friend from DLI) and Pat, best friend here at WP. 12 pitchers of Sangria later, we were feeling good.
From there, the whole crew moved to a bar that allows dogs. Literally, there was a black dog running around and licking us. It was awesome...I have 2 unexplained cigarette burns (and one explained one)...so I know I had fun.
From there to Lee's house, where he offered us a bite of the largest wedge of parmasean I'd ever seen.
And we shared a hookah...

And some more...
Until I was spent. All of us were...people were passed out everywhere...it was about four in the morning...it was awesome.
This is the next morning...well...around 2 in the afternoon. I was still in my blanket and things were golden.
The weekend continued for another night of which I have no photos, but believe me...it too was remarkable. Pat and I made great travel partners and we'll have to do it again before we leave the great grey walls.


2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

That first video is priceless. It's amazing how hilarious a cheap hotel room can be at the end of a day on the road.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the immortal words of Adam...

"Pat and I packed about a years worth of experiences into four days, starting with the moment we got into the car..." and...

"Pat and I made great travel partners and we'll have to do it again before we leave the great grey walls."

*Shaking head* - what a weekend...

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home