Wednesday, February 01, 2006

SOTU


Yes, the State of the Union was last night and I watched it after drinking a lot of wine. I got asked to go to a wine tasting to choose what we would drink at the next ball (I think Mom and Kristie are going to come out for that one). Anyway, something made it less infuriating being drunk, but, here are some my favorite quotes and reactions for those of you who care:
In a system of two parties, two chambers, and two elected branches, there will always be differences and debate. But even tough debates can be conducted in a civil tone, and our differences cannot be allowed to harden into anger. To confront the great issues before us, we must act in a spirit of goodwill and respect for one another -- and I will do my part.

Mmm...something tells me Valerie Plame, Shinseki and the other people this administration has crushed along the way would disagree.
Democracies replace resentment with hope, respect the rights of their citizens and their neighbors, and join the fight against terror.

Disingenuous at best...Democratic Peace Theory is not prooven, hotly debated and, as shown in Palestine, elections, even free and fair ones, can lead to governments that aren't about to join our War on Terror let alone lead to more freedom for the citizens. Shit, look closer to home...we've had plenty of democratically enacted laws that restrict freedom for women, minorities, gays...were it not for the Supreme Court, we would simply have straight up majority rule...speaking of the Supreme Court, nothing infuriates me more than listening to Bush speak about "judicial activism" and "legislating from the bench". He knows nothing of which he speaks and can barely pronounce the words, but because he had a mandate, he has now shifted the court for the next thirty years.
I will continue to nominate men and women who understand that judges must be servants of the law, and not legislate from the bench.

Here was a nice kickback...didn't we use this exact paragraph four years ago? I literally think they just switched "Iraq" and "Iran":
Tonight, let me speak directly to the citizens of Iran: America respects you, and we respect your country. We respect your right to choose your own future and win your own freedom. And our nation hopes one day to be the closest of friends with a free and democratic Iran.

I won't get into the rest, but I think everyone who reads blogs has seen this now, and we all know to be afraid...

be very afraid...
The Human-Animal Hybrid is coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home