Thursday, January 26, 2006

Rings n Things...

You know, when you get a 30K loan and choose the stone of your class ring (not what type of stone mind you, but the actual stone, which is now bagged and tagged awaiting the mold of gold), things start looking up...

Here are some random things that have been said, done, written or happened that interested or intrigued me over the last few days (in bullet form, thanks to Miss Alexandra):
  • What can one do for fun at Fort Bragg North Carolina? Well, according to my PE instructed (a man who canceled class last year because he "had a tick on his nipple"), "You can enter coon huntin' competitions!"
  • According to my personality survey results from plebe year and now, I have changed in the following ways; I have moved from low to high in angry hostility, self-consciousness, deliberation and impulsiveness, I have moved from high to low in warmth, vulnerability and values. It does say, however, that I am still, "Less likely to experience feelings of joy and happiness than most men" and I am "willing at timies to flatter or trick people into doing what [I] want , but [I am] reasonably considerate of others..." I have "limited aspirations and might be considered somewhat lackadaisical or lazy" and, big surpise, I am, "generally liberal in [my] social political and moral beliefs."
  • I would talk about my ring, which is all I can think about, but I want it to be a suprise...
  • I am going to climb Kilaminjaro next Christmas
  • My English teacher and I had our conference today. He put my paper down, graded side down and asked, "How long did you spend writing this?" I got nervous and told him, in truth, that I'd actually spent a long time on it...I was nervous...then he said, "And how do you think I can convince the others to put in as much effort as you obviously did?" and I'd gotten an A...woohoo!
  • I got a box of bunuelos from my Aunt in Los Angeles, a dessert I haven't eaten since I was a little boy...it was so good. When I got the box not knowing what was inside, I stopped reading after I read the first line of the letter, "I enjoyed making the bunuelos..." I literally dropped it in the middle of a walkway and started ripping at the tape with my teeth...oh sweet bunuelos...sweet sweet bunuelos. I called to thank her and asked if they take long to make and she replied, "no...just all day."
  • My little sister wrote this about me in one of those stupid myspace surveys:
    Am I a rebel or do I follow the rules: a rebel who doesnt understand why the rules are the way they are. Do I have any siblings: no your head was too big for mom and dad to have anymore, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh What is a memory we have once had: probably when you used to pick me up from school and you play some beetle song and make fun of me then we'd go get slurpies or richardsons.
    Ha! See, who knows me more? A stupid personality survey or someone who shares my blood? My BLOOD!
  • In the poltical world, Senator Rick Santorum has said quite possibly the dumbest thing he's ever said in his life:
    “And yet we have brave men and women who are willing to step forward because they know what’s at stake. They’re willing to sacrifice their lives for this great country.What I am asking all of you tonight, is not to put on a uniform. Put on a bumper sticker. Is it that much to ask? Is it that much to ask to step up and serve your country, to fight for what we believe in?”
    Ha ha ha! Um, right Mr. Santorum...putting a re-election sticker on a car is pretty much just like dodging bullets isn't it? Jeez
  • I am liking Hillary and Gore both more and more and more. Their positions are becoming more nuanced and better thought out. They have learned to balance liberalism with pragmatism, pacifism with the threat of force, an understanding of what went wrong in Iraq with what we must now do. Unfortunately, it is the fact that they are nuanced and see the dichotomy between things that makes them pretty much unelectable. Like it or not, we live in a world of color wheras we want to live in a world of black and white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home