Saturday, January 14, 2006

What I Listen To and A Compliment...


After my English class yesterday, I got one of the best compliments ever. We were discussing a story written by an Iranian in the fifties in which a French woman moves to Iran, doesn't like it and leaves. Most people felt very sympathetic towards her. I, on the other hand, pointed out that since it was an Iranian audience reading the story, there was pretty good evidence that she wasn't intended to be sympathetic, but that she was intended to appear racist and ignorant. Most didn't agree with me and my Professor played devils advocate (but after class told me to "continue on the same path" for my paper) and thought I was just being a moron.

After class, one of the kids came up and said, "You know, when you said we should look at things from their perspective, I thought 'Yep...sounds like an Adam thing to say.'"

Wow! No joke, that was probably the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me. The idea that trying to see things from a different perspective, particularly when it comes to culture and the like, being an "Adam thing" gave me so much pride it is probably sinful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home