Monday, November 22, 2010

What I'm reading...

I'm reading my blogs and, as always, have reactions to share. A lot of random stuff today, and entirely too many articles about Sara Palin. Seriously, between her and her daughter on Dancing With the Stars (um, since when has getting pregnant early and being the daughter of a one-time VP nominee made one a "star"?) I have had entirely too much Palin for a lifetime, let alone a night.

In any case, what am I reading?
  1. Joe Miller, the Tea Party crazy who won the Republican nomination for Senate in Alaska is calling for a full re-count of all ballots in the state. This wouldn't be too terrible a thing if the intent was to ensure full enfranchisement of all voters, or if he had a chance of winning. The thing is, numerically speaking, he can't. The number of ballots he wants thrown out are still over 2,000 shy of catching Murkowski. It's a quixotic attempt to become a Senator and a waste of Alaska's money.
  2. Sharon Angle, another failed Tea Party candidate (this time in Nevada) took a page out of Palin's playbook (I know, after saying I'd heard too much of the dirty-P-word, I wrote it) and decided that some people aren't real-Americans. Where does she draw the line? Around urban areas. Here's her awesome quote explaining why she lost the election (because, you know, it couldn't have been calling a room full of Latino students "Asian looking" or her horrendous debate or the fact she literally ran from reporters a few times). No no, it was because,
    "I find the people in the rural counties more educated on the issues and seem to be more tied into their communities. The urban areas seem to have more of a disconnect from the issues that affect their communities."
    Seriously, if politicians keep excluding those of us who live in cities and suburbs of being un-American, uneducated or otherwise, my head will pop.
  3. Meghan McCain, an occasionally smart republican but always firebrand, says she wants to "Kick Obama's Ass in 2012." She's also said she's on team Romney, which I find ironic considering Obamacare so closely resembles Massachusetts' Health Care law, which Romney signed into law as Governor. The thing that really bothers me, however, is her saying,
    I want to go out and do it all over again with somebody else -- I want to go get a Republican elected. I want to kick Obama's ass the next election and get a Republican elected.
    Even this, to be honest, wouldn't bother me if she would categorically reject supporting Palin (yes, again) if she becomes the Republican nominee. Otherwise, it rings not of honest policy and instead of pure politics.
  4. Michelle Bachmann, another crazy who happens to be running America right now, refuses to back down from saying on the news that Obama's last overseas trip would cost voters 200 million dollars a day. While her refusal to say she was wrong bothers me, what bothers me more is what she considers justification for her ignorance. She says,
    I didn't say if I believe it or not. What I said was a I was quoting a newspaper.
    You see, when you're a Congresswoman for the United States of America, the idea that you would go on the news and say something that may, or may not, be true because, well, it was in the newspaper (an Indian newspaper), seems ridiculous. Wait, not ridiculous, it seems absurd. How can we expect her to vote non-ignorantly if she can't realize something is absolutely absurd on its face...not only doesn't realize it's absurd, but freely spreads it as truth. The answer is, we can't, and shouldn't. But her base loves her, so it doesn't matter.
  5. Kamala Harris is gaining in her lead to become California's next Attorney General! This is good news for California and pits California's Democratic takeover of government against Texas's Republican takeover. Both states have similar deficits and similar problems to face. What happens over the next four years will be interesting. The rise of Kamala Harris is a good thing for the California Democratic party, but a better thing for the state. She's smart, she's just and she's a much needed breath of youth and intellectual rigor.
OK. So...that's all we've got for tonight. Enjoy the articles if you read them! I've gotta get back to watching trash TV with my mom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home