Wednesday, November 17, 2010

TSA debate online

This is an interesting conversation. I haven't read it all, but there are some good points on either side, once you weed out the emotional responses, the ideologues and the ignorant. I was particularly irked by Pelosi (daughter, not Speaker) and her response. I am becoming increasingly annoyed by the Moore-ishization (ref. Michael Moore of Fahrenheit 9/11 fame) of left leaning politicos. Her attempt to equate TSA scanners with the multi-trillion dollar military-industrial complex by simply replacing "military" with "security" is a ridiculous false parallel and her use of her child being "groped" reeks of a fear tactic.

Without being able to talk about real issues without immediately reverting to fear, pandering or worst-case scenarios, how can we be expected to solve issues?

With this particular issue, I'm becoming more and more frustrated with people throwing around words like "rights" and "unreasonable search" when neither fits correctly. What I mean to say is, there are words and phrases which are particularly important to our legal lexicon. I am no lawyer, but I know what a right is, and I know that "unreasonable searches and seizures" are vitally important terms to understand when studying Constitutional Law. By using them inappropriately, or out of context, it muddles the ACTUAL context and lessens their impact and importance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home