Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Anti-Climactic...

So the protest went on today, although you wouldn't have known it from the cadet side of the world. The only thing we got was a couple of comments by cadets (my favorite being "If we let them (gays) into the army because they protest, what next? Parapalegics?"

There were a few people who took part...or, at least, tried. A professor in the English department went down to the gate. According to the article on their website, he said, "I think it's a shame that the Academy isn't willing to enter into a constructive dialogue with Soulforce on this issue, 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' is a problematic policy that needs to be addressed."

After some of them got arrested, the MP's closed the gate, which I can understand. However, they also stopped cadets from going to the gate to talk to the protesters. That, to me, seems inappropriate. Keeping protesters off post is one thing, keeping cadets from speaking to whomever we'd like is quite another. I didn't get a chance to go down because I was in class all day, however, I did hear about a few cadets who went out a different gate in civlian clothes in order to speak with them. (luckily I don't have names or who knows, someone in the administration could read this and ask me). Anyway, I'm asking around for people who made it to the gate to see what people said, but in the meantime, here's the article off the protesters website about how things went today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Those people were supported by Ted from Queer Eye??!! Seriously, West Point gets alllll the cool kids.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claire, that is an accurate number. 9,762 were discharged through fiscal year 2003. My guess is that as of now, the number is something like 11,500.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home