Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow...

I was thinking about that song today and all the memories it brought back. Believe it or not, the first time I can remember hearing it was Clinton's inaugural. I believe it was his theme song, and I can't remember if it was for his first or second election, but I can remember the feeling I had listening to it and watching him. I remember hearing him speak and the jubilation that seemed to permeate the whole affair. It seemed so...hopeful. People, at least it seemed to me being a naive junior high student (unless it was the re-election, in which case it was senior year), were looking forward to the future. The words seemed so fitting for the mood. I can't remember ever hearing anyone say, "all politicians do that..." or anything similar.

I wasn't yet a Democrat, nor was I anti-Republican...I was floating along on the wave of political euphoria around me. I wish I could say I was more informed for the Bush Gore election, but I don't think I was. It was while I was in basic. I had to get special permission to vote because I had to call home for some information and stay up late to do it...and I voted for Bush. I thought he was genuine when he spoke of "compassionate conservatives". I was wrong.

I haven't felt that innocent and forward looking euphoria in a long time when it comes to the state of the nation. I've felt fear and anger...betrayal and disgust. I've been disillusioned and downtrodden, but I don't think hopeful is one of the words I would use to describe it.

It seems like the news continues to get worse and worse, but the reaction seems to be more and more indifference. Scandal after scandal breaks and there are so many now, most people don't even pay attention. Have you heard anything about the New Hampshire phone jamming (which could have cost the Democrats a Senate seat)? Or DeLay's redistricting so gerrymandered it's doubtful there will be a true balance to politics again until there is a massive shift in American politics?

In talking to my uber-Conservative friend last night, he admits, sure, the war might be wrong, sure, he wouldn't vote for Bush again, sure, Rumsfeld isn't doing a good job, no, we shouldn't attack Iran and yes, the Republicans are corrupt...but so what? That's the attitude now, resignation.

I guess my point is, after listening to Gore's speech I posted earlier, particularly when he closed the speech with,
I mentioned that along with cause of concern, there is reason for hope. As I stand here today, I am filled with optimism that America is on the eve of a golden age in which the vitality of our democracy will be re-established and will flourish more vibrantly than ever.
and thinking about the lyrics to the song, I'm slowly regaining hope. We can't give up, and we can't give in. We may have lost to the Republicans, but if we lose to apathy, we're defeated. So...for those of you so inclined, keep your heads up and keep looking toward the future. November is only a few months away and what we have to offer is greater than fear and greater than hate. We offer freedom, justice, compassion...education, health care and security, a global society based upon intercooperation not war, a party free from the corrupt practices and dirty politics so prevalent today, a judicial philosophy that puts the liberty first...

"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." Martin Luther King Jr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home