Friday, January 14, 2011

go, go Army experience

I keep having these awesome moments when I think either, "I really like the army" or, "Thank God I'm in the Army or..."

Today, it was as I was reading facebook and the news. A friend of mine posted that, now out of the Army and in college, he's disappointed by the level of worldly knowledge his classmates have. When in an Arab studies class, three students brought up India and Pakistan as examples of Arab culture. He, having been to Iraq twice, knew better. At the same time, I am vociferously reading about what is going on in Tunisia right now.

Why did I think, "Thank God I'm in the Army..."? Because throughout my time in the Army, I've had the opportunity to meet and interact with people from all over the world. We have all been Officers in our respective militaries, yes, but that similarity allowed us to discuss things in ways that I imagine civilian counterparts would not. We have a base of understanding from which to explain things to one another.

So, when I read "Tunisia" in the headlines, not only did I know where it was (something that shouldn't be too surprising or remarkable for a college graduate, but which is probably the case), but I also didn't think of the State in the abstract. I thought immediately of MAJ Qatari, whom I've had to my house for drinks and dinner. I thought of his wife and his daughters, and wondered now only how they were doing, but what MAJ Qatari was doing.

Opportunities and experiences like that, which shape my understanding of the world and events, are rare outside of the military (I assume). I'm beginning to realize just how grateful I am to have had, and keep having, those experiences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home