Thursday, January 13, 2011

"peculiar" says Brit Hume

Brit Hume and other FOX News commentators were talking about the memorial service in Tucson. What I found interesting was Brit Hume's comments about the native American prayer which opened the memorial. By the time the blessing was over, according to Brit Hume, the presider had,
blessed the reptiles of the sea and he had prayed to the four doors of the building and while I'm sure that all has an honorable tradition with his people, it was most peculiar.

Now, I'm not one to judge a prayer. In fact, I had written years ago, after the Native American Heritage Dinner at West Point, where we had one of the cadets do a native blessing as well, that I found it "odd". Not so much the particulars about the blessing, but that if it had been any other religion, most people wouldn't have been as accepting. What I mean to say is, because it was a Native American blessing, everyone stood incredibly reverently as she poured some tobacco leaves out and said the blessing. I imagined an Imam intoning "allah akbar" or a Rabbi reading from the Torah and thought...you know, a lot of people wouldn't be so reverent in those cases.

I also like the use of "his people". I assume he means Native Americans, but I wonder who he considers Brit Hume's people. Brit Hume is able to admit that he finds "OTHER people's" (those are scare quote/bunny ears, not actually quotations) religious traditions "peculiar". Maybe he'd be more comfortable with the likes of the "His people". Maybe something like the quote below, from a famous Christian...a little more to his faith tradition?
God set a standard in this earth and he demands obedience to HIS standard. Humans are a work of God--they're HIS work, and he set HIS standard amongst them, and he said, "Obey."
before you find out who it is (and no, not Hitler) agree or disagree...then click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home