Monday, November 15, 2010

We are undermining ourselves. By "we" I mean those who are opposed to repeal of Don't Ask/Don't Tell. How? We're breaking the rules that we hope/need others to follow.

By wearing uniforms to make a direct political statement, we allow those who oppose us to do the same. By undermining the apolitical military, we allow others to leverage THIER military service (let us not kid ourselves into thinking that we are somehow the only ones with a political agenda, or that others don't have equal dedication to their own) into political action. But then what? Are those opposed to repeal not allowed to show up and protest in their uniforms? What about against a War? Against a President?

I could be wrong, very wrong, but I don't remember seeing photos of service members during Vietnam wearing their uniforms to protests. They'd wear part of it, to let people know they'd served--a jacket here, some ribbons there--but never going out as "LT X" or "SGT Y".

It is my hope the military will remain apolitical. It is safer for the country, safer for our politicians, and safer for our Soldiers. Seeing people with whom I agree undermine this basic rule of democracy scares and saddens me, even if I agree with their aims.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home