Sunday, March 02, 2008

tragic beauty

There are a lot of things going on with work, life and love that I'd like to write about right now, but can't, so I thought I'd share my thoughts as I drove home tonight.

I have been taken recently by buildings lit at night. Specifically, buildings that are alone in a field or against a night sky. I don't know why, but something about them seems both beautiful and tragic. They are beautiful for the obvious reasons...lighting is an easy way to evoke emotion, but the reasons for their more tragic beauty is less obvious.

The idea that I am sitting here safe and comfortable right now is hard to shake. There is a ceiling over me, an air conditioner and a rug underfoot. Seeing these buildings lit up at night against a dark sky, however, makes me realize how really transitory and alone we are. Lighting buildings seems, suddenly, to be a completely arrogant act. As though, against the will of the universe itself, we--mankind--will stave off even darkness. However, no matter how powerful a light we build, it only goes so far before the dark of the universe and the unknown and emptiness swallows it hole.

I imagine kings and emperors felt as safe as I do now. Probably right before their kingdoms fell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home