Thursday, September 28, 2006

Follow On...

Not to dwell too long on my Zach Braff post of earlier, but I've been thinking it over some more. I remember when I first saw Garden State and thought it was good, my friend Kevin Kirby said he would see it based upon my reccomendation although his sister said it wasn't good. I was nervous--what if Kevin saw it and hated it? That was the first time, I believe, that I took pause to re-evaluate the movie. Why did I like it was a question I had to ask myself. Then followed the stinging indictment of Meggers, Kevin's sister; it was the same as every other crappy romance movie-boy meets girl, girl changes boy.

Could making a crappy romance movie be that simple? I didn't want to believe it since I considered myself to be an above average viewer with above average tastes. I came back to my collection of movies only to find myself dissapointed. In looking over my collection, quite a few could be deemed as nothing more than that--boy meets girl, girl changes boy.

Here is the list of movies I have which, when stripped down, offer nothing more than that:
  • Harold and Maude
  • Punch Drunk Love
  • Say Anything
  • As Good as It Gets

I think there are more...those are off the top of my head. Oh sure, those are some pretty good versions of the theme...but still, how could I have missed something so simple?

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Personally, I'm a sucker for the "someone meets someone, someone changes someone" plot scheme.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home