Sunday, April 02, 2006

Oh My...

In the 2000 elections, I had a McCain placard I ordered to put in the front yard. My mom wouldn't let me because she's a democrat, but I liked the guy. He seemed moderate, principled and I was upset about the beating he took in the South. I liked that he stood up against Bob Jones University in particular their no interracial dating policies. He has always been talked about as a bastion of principles over politics...

So, what the hell is happening? I want to ask "why" is he lurging right, but I know "why" and it's sad. Watching him try and woo the religious right and the people he not so long ago denied as being against his Republican values is like watching an old diva get face lifts to try and remain young. (Yes, I know it's a poor analogy, but still, an old lady with too many face lifts should make you laugh, in the same way McCain trying to be a right winger should make you cry...it's the irony.) Here is a video of him trying to justify his speaking at Liberty University: (the video's not working yet, so here's a link to the same video.)

Here are some quotes from Falwell...just so you know exactly who he's pandering to:
“(re: 9/11 attacks) "...throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools, the abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked and when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad...I really believe that the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who try to secularize America...I point the thing in their face and say you helped this happen."”

“If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being”

“AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals”

"Textbooks are soviet propoganda."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home