Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Scalia

Justice Scalia spoke at West Point tonight. I always thought that the whole originalist v. "living consitution" argument was something they were kind of sly about...I was wrong. He railed against anyone who would think otherwise. I wish I had a microphone. At one point, he said, "Abortion, homosexuality, assisted suicide...those are just the bottom of the slipperly slope of the living constitution." I guess what I ask is, if he's already considered these things are not constitutionally protected, as he said tonight, how exactly can he impartially judge any of the issues that relate to them?

I only wish I had this quote from his Ayotte decision to ask him about, considering his adamant belief a law can only mean what was intended when it was written. It's not suprising he wrote this when he was trying to strike down an assisted suicide law:
"We have repeatedly observed that Congress often passes statutes that sweep more broadly than the main problem they were designed to address."


So...apparently, a law must be interpreted in it's original meaning, unless he wants it to mean more?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home