Thursday, September 01, 2011

Jon Huntsman

There are a lot of things I like about Huntsman, and a lot of things I don't. He's a little hard to judge because he is, by profession, a diplomat...and a good one. What does that mean? He's good at selling what he wants to you so you think you want it.

What I mean by that is, when someone says "we need to have shared sacrifice" and "we'll broaden the revenue base", what they generally mean is that poorer people will pay more, but in diplomatic terms.  That being said, his Tax Plan seems pretty reasonable and probably shows the best understanding of the economy and taxes of any of the Republican plans.

Moreover, his statement that the US's future is NOT tied to Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya is pretty bold for a Republican to say.

What scares me about his boldness is that he may just be running for Vice President and 2016 candidate. It scares me because someone unpalatable to the masses like Bachman, Perry or Palin could chose him to moderate him/herself if chosen the candidate. Imagine, a cowboy like Perry with Huntsman following behind soothing the waters. He'd be the anti-palin--the frosting to swallow the pill. 

There's a part of me who has enough faith in him that I hope he could be the Republican Lieberman, but I doubt it. One could hope that if the Republican party gets crazy enough that someone like him could step forward and say, "whoa...I disagree with Obama, but this guy will literally drive us off a cliff." I hope he wins the Republican nomination, but I doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home