Tuesday, March 01, 2011

In reading my last post, I finally came up with a good analogy.

Years ago, I was visiting a friend in Montana. I had to fly into Seattle and his grandfather picked me up at the airport and drove me to Missoula. The drive was long, and slightly awkward. He was a nice old man, and was very interested in West Point. He asked me, "So, they let girls in now, huh? How's that?" I explained that it was...what it was. I didn't know any other way, and women have always been in the Army as long as I've been in, so it makes no difference to me--and most of the strongest cadets I knew were women.

He thought about it a bit and said, "Yep, I can see that. Good for them." I thought, wow...this old man "gets" it. Then he paused and added, "I do have one question though...West Point is a leadership Academy, right? So...why do women want to go anyway?"

I think of this old man when I hear people say things (like the USC quarterback) like, "I'm not homophobic and have nothing against gays, I just don't think they should marry." These people honestly don't THINK they're homophobic...they honestly don't THINK they have anything against anyone...they honestly don't KNOW that they're making peoples lives difficult.

But, they are. Unlike the old man, however, I can't just ignore it and laugh it off as good natured old-man thought. I have to fight it when I see it...and you should too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home