Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Army/Navy


I'm an Army Fan. Everyone who knows me knows that. I'm a member of the A-Club and go to pretty much any Army sporting event I can. Hell, we got them to play the Army/Notre Dame game in a bar showing Ultimate Fighting on a big screen...when we were down by seventy-thousand points in the fourth quarter...and finished the game. I'm THAT kind of a fan.
That's why I got pissed when I read the following quote from Kevin Anderson, ex-Athletic Director, in the 2009-2010 Annual Report:
I am proud to say that, once again, our coaches, administrators and cadet-athletes fulfilled our mission of winning while developing leadership, demonstrating character and competing with integrity.
Now, I'm sorry to say this, but while winning with integrity is important, beating Navy is as well. So, while Mr. Anderson can point at Patriot League victories, he has not a single win over Navy in either football or the overall Star Matches annually in his entire tenure.

Kevin Anderson is a nice guy. I had dinner with him several times while at the Academy. But, he would have been well advised to heed the words of a famous graduate who said "there is no substitute for victory." (And yes, while he was talking about war--West Point IS at war with Navy. A protracted one in which we have given up ground too long.)

I'm looking foward to seeing the changes that the new athletic director will bring--amongst them, I hope, will be beating the hell out of Navy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home