Tuesday, November 30, 2010

random musings on a long, boring day

A long day at work always produces rambling lists of stuff I'm reading. This begins....NOW:

  1. Best quote about Wikileaks I've read yet:
    Just as the modern right requires frequent reminders that prior to Europe's liberalism and America's New Dealism life was for many a living hell utterly without safety nets, the modern left needs reminding that not all national security measures are a "military-industrial" scam.
    PM Carpenter.
  2. Joe Scarborough finally speaks truth to...I don't even want to call her "power"...so speaks truth to self-perpetuating fame:
    I am offended by Palin’s attempt to build herself up by tearing down great men like Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

    Palin is not a stupid woman. But like the current president, she still does not know what she does not know. And she does know how to make millions of dollars, even if she embarrasses herself while doing it.

    That reality hardly makes Palin unique, but this is one Republican who would prefer that the former half-term governor promote her reality shows and hawk her books without demeaning the reputations of Presidents Reagan and Bush. These great men dedicated their lives to public service and are too good to be fodder for her gaudy circus sideshow.

    If Republicans want to embrace Palin as a cultural icon whose anti-intellectualism fulfills a base political need, then have at it. I suppose it’s cheaper than therapy.

    But if the party of Ronald Reagan, Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio wants to return to the White House anytime soon, it’s time that Republican leaders started standing up and speaking the truth to Palin.
  3. SEN Ben Nelson (worth mentioning he's a Democrat) said the following about the DREAM Act:
    I’m not going to support any act that I don’t think adds to jobs, or military or to the economy. Consequently I won’t support any motion to proceed or any kind of cloture on the DREAM Act.
    It seems clear to me that the DREAM Act would help the military as well as the economy. By legalizing immigrants who are here illegally (brought as children under the age of 18), we create further incentive for people to join the military, help to integrate marginalized people, spur further assimilation of immigrants and their families and help to broaden the tax-base. To deny that the DREAM Act is related to these issues is incredibly short sighted. Apparently if something isn't in the name of the Act itself, SEN Nelson can't see the connection.

    Luckily, a member of the White House sees this obstruction (which is mainly Republican, even with defector Senators like Nelson) and said the following:
    This is about accountability, not amnesty. It will take a few Republicans to get this through Congress, but they have to realize we can’t keep kicking the can down the road. They have to help govern and to solve some of the problems.
  4. I'm hesitant to post this, because a good friend of mine is involved with the making of the video as well as deeply involved with the group the video promotes. But, I saw the video and had a rather negative reaction to it. While I will admit the guy on the right can dance pretty well (the guy on the left, unfortunately, not as well--better than me probably, but not as well as the other guy), what I could not shake was the genuine distaste for this kind of advertisement.


    Watch the video and try to guess what it is the video is promoting. Is it a bar? A club? A game show? No. It's Church! Now, I can understand the need to draw a new crowd--the point is to get people in and then get them to God, but seriously? A "money machine"? I'm not sure what it is, but something seems entirely too...too...money-changers about luring people to church with a "money machine" for me to be comfortable.

That's it for now kids. I'll probably be posting a lot come the next few days as work is slow...I apologize to those of you who are annoyed by my all-too-frequent posting, but hey, you can always click the little "x" box that says to hide me...right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home