Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Christine O'Donnell: What I'm made of

Growing up, I remember my parents yelling at me, often, because they said I was "Not living up to my potential." My dad had a rule that, so long as I was going to school, I could live at home for free and not pay rent, but that once I stopped going to school, I had to pay rent. It forced me to go to Junior College, and, when I'd decided I no longer wanted to go, I joined the Army.

My dad was, to say the least, disappointed in my decision. Sure, he was proud of me for going into the military, but it's not what he wanted for me. He wanted me to go to college. He had spent so long, almost decades really, achieving his degree through correspondence from Central Illinois University (I believe, I can't be sure which college it was). He just didn't want me to do the same, and instead wanted me to earn my degree from as good an institution as possible.

As the son of an immigrant from the Philippines and the Grandson of two illegal immigrants from Mexico, the idea that we--my sisters, cousins and I--might go to College was the "American Dream". Not all of us did, some of us chose to raise families, go into the military or do other things. But, for the first generation born and raised as full American citizens by birth, we have done well with Doctors, Lawyers and other Professionals as well. The University of Arizona, University of San Diego, San Francisco State University and, yes, The United States Military Academy, have all contributed to my family's educational pedigree. And you know what? Each of us, I am sure, hopes our children will do the same or better--because that's the American Dream.

Beginning not with Palin, but achieving its (thus far) most manifest form in her, is a current anti-intellectual, anti-anything-but-monetary-success streak within American Politics. Within this streak, being successful in education, in non-profit or other non-CEO jobs is not just failure, it's un-American. See Palin's speech at the Republican National Convention in which she claims being a Mayor is "like being a community organizer but with real responsibility." Here, Christine O'Donnell, a Palin knock-off, starts off a political ad with, "I didn't go to Yale." Because, apparently, NOT being as successful as someone else...NOT going to as prestigious a college...NOT putting in that work, that effort, that sweat and tears...NOT doing those things is qualification. It makes someone "real."

I'm done with that. I want her opponent to release an ad saying, "Yes. I inherited money because my father was incredibly successful. After that, I spent my high school years trying very hard, and then went on to study my ass off to get into, and be successful, at one of the most difficult and prestigious schools in America. This is the American Dream. My family achieved it, and I want your family to as well."

Or maybe wait several years and I'll do that ad myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home