Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dare to Dream

My Senior Year Homecoming theme (Fallbrook Union High School class of 1998) was "Dare to Dream". I remember picking it at the "leadership retreat" the summer previous based solely upon an awesome float-making idea we had ("we" being Sara Buffamanti and I, really). I can't remember which teacher, or which student, came up with the idea, but all Seniors were given the following prompt on gold paper during Homecoming week, with a single page worth of blank space to write on:
As Seniors, we are facing the future beyond high school. This is a time for us to look forward to the many possibilities that are ours to achieve. The Senior Class Officers are asking you to take part in the Senior homecoming float and to "dare to dream." On the lines provided below, please write down some of your dreams for the future. Please be serious and reflective in your response as these dreams will be saved and returned to you at our ten year reunion. When you are finished, fold the part twice so it is a quarter of the original size, staple it closed, and sign the outside with your name. This letter will be kept confidential. The Senior Class Officers thank you.

I missed my reunion as I was in Iraq, but Joanne Rogers Shreve got my letter. After a decade, it was sent to me and I read it today at lunch. I thought I would share it. So, what were my dreams when I was 17 yrs old? Spelling and Grammar have not been changed. Read on...
My dreams? Oh, so many, well for one thing I dream to go to Rome. In ten yrs. I guess that is possible. I hope to have a very in depth family tree. I dream about my job--What am I going to do? I know what I am thinking of doing right now. If I do do it, I hope I am good @ it, I hope to be more skilled, I hope to be a better person, I hope to be more faithful, more trustworthy, less vindictive. I hope to keep in contact with everyone I am friends with & become friends with people I normally push away. I hope to learn to be much less judgmental. I hope to go to the Philipines. Maybe me & my dad can go to see his Saint? I hope to have done something with my life-for money isn't what I need-I hope to be happy. November 7, 1997.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home