Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Shield is a television show that I have come to view as the antithesis of West Point. I don't know how it ends, but the basic story line involves a bunch of cops whose primary allegiance is to one another instead of to their higher calling, or profession. Each episode has them lying, cheating or stealing to protect themselves or their friends--and my guys love the show.

We've watched something like five or six seasons now (and, by "we" I mean they have, but I live with them so I have to listen). The acting isn't that great (minus the season with Glen Close) and the weekly plots are pretty predictable of bad cop dramas.

Recently, an issue came up where I immediately knew that it would garner me an ass-chewing. I wasn't too upset, I'm a Lieutenant, it happens all the time, but my guys didn't see it as such. Immediately they began to devise elaborate plots and schemes, told me what to say to minimize the impact. Everything from equivocating to outright lies. One of them said, "Sir, there's gotta be some Shield kind of scheme we can come up with." While he was joking, I was hurt.

I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if maybe I've given them the wrong impression. If, after 15 months of working together, they honestly think I'd rather lie than get small but stern talking to about something not even that important, then they don't know me as well as I thought. But I don't think that's their fault. Character should, it seems, be something that people can tell about you through experience. It is suddenly apparent to me that through their experience, they have misjudged my character--and that is on me, not them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home