Tuesday, November 04, 2008

prop 8...

Why write about Prop 8 on the night Barak Obama was elected the first African-American President in our nation's history? Because, it seems sad, ironic and, at the least, mentionable that, at the same time, it appears as though California, arguably the blue-est state in the Union, is going out of its way to strip gays and lesbians of their rights.

Maybe I am being harsh, but if this proposition passes, or even fails by a small margin, I blame gay people. Complacency kills. Specifically, I blame any gay person that didn't write his family and tell them how to vote. I blame any gay person in America who didn't donate money. I blame any gay person who old enough to decide for him or herself, but who is still in the closet.

This proposition should not barely fail, it should go down in flames with a resounding thud. Californians should be upset that there are some who think civil rights are something to be voted upon by the masses. Instead, we have ads "scaring" people into believing children will be taught, horror of horrors, that gays and lesbians are people. We have churches claiming, against the very wording of the California Supreme Courts decision, that somehow this will change them. Instead, we have people who, beyond any explainable measure, believe not stripping gays and lesbians of their rights somehow infringes upon their free speech.

I hope I am wrong, and that I wake up to the news that California is still a state of tolerance, diversity, hope and pride. I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home