Sunday, September 28, 2008

pre/post debate Kissinger...

There was a bit of a scurfuffle (a word I do not believe exists in reality) over what Kissinger really believed about Presidential talks with Iran without pre-conditions. I have, for the sake of everyone who cares about this one moment as much as I, posted Kissinger's quote from the panel he did (see previous post) along with his post debate statement on the same:

Pre-debate: "I am in favor of negotiating with Iran.... But I do not believe that we can make conditions for the opening of negotiations."

Post-debate: "Senator McCain is right. I would not recommend the next President of the United States engage in talks with Iran at the Presidential level. My views on this issue are entirely compatible with the views of my friend Senator John McCain. We do not agree on everything, but we do agree that any negotiations with Iran must be geared to reality."

Considering Kissinger is McCain's advisor, such a change in position is, I am sure, only to clarify his first opinion, and has not been influenced by the characterization of his primary remarks, by Obama, in the debates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home