Monday, September 10, 2007

Five books...

I talked to Al about this earlier and thought I'd give it a go. You see, some years ago, Al gave me a book titled "An introduction to agro-ecology" or something similar. I took it with me to Air Assault school and instead of learning the weight of a fuel blivet, I read that book (I got the wings anyway, so no worries). I thought, considering that we all do things that we find interesting, and we find each other interesting (I am, of course, talking about the six people I know who read this regularly), that we should each post five books within our own unique areas of interest that you would recommend other people read to gain a better understanding of what it is you're interested in. Does that make sense? For example, since I'm in the military and, other than Tim, I don't know of any regular readers who are also (if I'm wrong, I apologize...not trying to be rude, I am just ignorant of the fact) so I would post books about military issues. Such as:


I wrote about this one in another blog. There are such great contrasts and similarities between war then and war now...plus, it's written by Steinbeck, so you can be guaranteed almost every sentence will make your mind implode at the beautiful combinations of such simple words and images to convey a thought you're had a thousand times but been unable to express.
This is one of the best accounts of war that I've read. I also posted about this once as it was a school reading back in the day. I don't recommend reading it when in the mood for light reading as it is gritty and disturbing and will probably make you hate war more than anything, but it's amazing.
OK, so maybe this one wont give anyone insight into life, but, it does give insight into me. There was/is a lot of debate as to what this book did for West Point. Some contend that because it dwelled a bit on some drug issues that were going on at the time that it was a disservice to the Academy, but I disagree. I think it's one of the best looks at the life that makes up four years of school and the life that is required afterwards that I've read.

ON WAR

It's online (link above). Don't read the whole thing, but read the 1st, 2nd and 8th books. They should probably be required reading for anyone who has a vote (which is everyone).

I would try to round out the list with a fifth (and I think Tim would have me put the Hemmingway book on this), but I don't think I can say I feel strongly enough about a fifth to throw on there. Anyway, if you feel like it, feel free to add your own five on in your own field...

2 Comments:

Blogger buckarooskidoo said...

Just happened upon your blog...very good and interesting writing. What about Rick Atkinson's book on the WP class of l966, "The Long Gray Line?" That's an awfully good book about men, war and aftermath, also a great life-and-times biography about West Pointers.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Alright, mine are up on my blog.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home