Monday, May 21, 2007

Questioning...

As I near the end...well...as I've finished my college undergraduate education, I come away with more questions than when I came in. I hate to say I'm becoming more conservative, but that is a distinct possibility, but only in some ways. I question now, much more than I did before I started, what it is that the government should do and what it is I should expect from the government. What are my rights, and what are our collective rights? What is it the government is authorized to do and what is it the government should not do? There are certain things that, while it may feel good to say the government should do (and many people would expect the government to do) simply isn't, Constitutionally, in the government's mandate.

If that is the case, how do I square what I think, morally, should happen, with what I believe legally should happen, and, which takes precedence? I would like to say morally, but, if my moral conviction trumps Constitutional mandate, why not other peoples moral convictions? If I am willing to bend the rules to suit my own beliefs (which I am not) then what would stop others from doing the same? Just the fact I trust my own morality more?

I realize this is vague, but I don't really know specifics (if I did, they wouldn't be questions) and, I'm writing this after three hours of sleep...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home