Sunday, October 08, 2006

White People...

I just watched a preview for Blood Diamond. It's set in Africa...and it stars Jennifer Connelly and Leonardo DiCaprio. It's directed by the director of Glory and The Last Samurai. Does anyone else see a pattern here? Let's add in Syriana and Babel too...while not exactly the same, they do share some commonalities.

Has anyone figured it out yet? Yeah...movies set in non-European places driven by white star power. I'm sick of it. I want to see a movie set in Africa starring black people...or in Japan, staring Asians. I'm not even going to specify they are racially specific...I mean...Memoirs of a Geisha didn't have Japanese in it, but hell...at least he main character wasn't Nicole Kidman.

Am I talking crazy here?

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

That's like asking to see a caucasian in the lead role for a movie made in Japan. Ain't going to happen. Seriously though, I'm willing to do a "movie watch trade" here. I'll watch one movie with you (doesn't matter what it is, anything goes - you can hold me to that) and you watch Tony Takitani with me. It's based on a short story by Haruki Murakami, with music by Ryuichi Sakamoto (who does music like Murakami does books...so I'm psyched).

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yooohooo long time my friend! I remember us talking about this a long time ago... i think michael has a good point... the only time we have a "true" asian (for example) in a hollywood movie is someone like Jackie Chan... who honestly doesn't have the best "american" acting skills... but he can beat the shit out of a ladder.
I agree, though, I'm sick of watching movies that humiliate a culture by saying Tom Cruise was the last samurai... ha

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home