Thursday, May 25, 2006

Democrat Moderation...

I stumbled upon this quote on a blog (but they quoted it from the New Republic) that I thought was really interesting:
"The Bush administration has wielded the threat of another (terrorist) attack in such a promiscuous and politically opportunistic way that some liberals have responded by believing the threat is a Republican creation."

"The argument with the left is that it's dangerous to equate American greatness with American purity. If you demand that America be unequivocally virtuous, you create a situation in which America can't act. In the real world of international affairs, you can't maintain complete moral purity in fighting evil."
I think, other than the use of the words "in fighting evil," I can agree with this. It's probably one of my biggest problems...I desire so strongly for my own country to act according to the standards of virtue and righteousness I set that, frankly, I doubt any state could possibly live up to them.

This is not to say one has to condone wrong acts...but it is simply to acknowledge that a balance must be struck between reality and ideals...and I, for one, too often err too far on the side of ideals.

In other news, I move out completely tomorrow and I just now took my first bag down the arduous six flights of stairs. I did procure a free couch for my new room though, which is cool.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

"and I, for one, too often err too far on the side of ideals." - absolutely right...but it's what makes you, you. So keep erring on that side (though you should try very hard to move towards the middle of the road). Nice blog though - speaking of taking "moral shortcuts" to win...add the Japanese mob (Yakuza) to the list of people the CIA have funded who have taken corruption a whole new level. Nowadays we're dealing with all the crap we did during the Cold War.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home