Tuesday, December 16, 2008

dispatch from the north...

This is a little story from a friend of mine in northern Iraq I thought I'd share:

Dec 08 - 11 was the Muslim holiday of Eid, where they traditionally take 4 days to visit family, wish people well, and, I think, exchange some small gifts. As this time approached, our interpretters and even local nationals who are regulars at the JSS enjoyed talking to us about it, especially if we asked. Many are eager to share the pieces of Islam that are different from my world, to include holidays, language, body language, and even the date conversions. On the morning of the first day, one of the CLC leaders showed up to the JSS with about 5 bags, one for each of the officers at the JSS that he deals with a regular basis. He handed me the bag, wished me a happy Eid, shook my hand, and wished me traditional "Salaam," meaning "peace," before he left. I don't know what his deep hearted leanings on politics are, and I do not pretend to be knowledgeable enough to comment on what this means on a large scale, but in my life it was a crystal clear example of basic human kindness and goodwill. I am proud to have been a part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home