Saturday, April 19, 2008

culture

The Americans did not Americanize us--they were merely one step ahead on the road towards a global civilization with a standardized style of living which, whether we like it or not, is beginning to emerge all over the world. For we live in a state of cultural osmosis where influences percolate across the porous frontiers, native traditions wane, and the movement towards a uniform, mechanized, stereotyped culture-pattern has become irresistible.
~Arthur Koestler, The Lotus and the Robot 1961

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

When did you start reading Koestler? His book The Ghost in the Machine is part of the theoretical basis for the entire UW Agroecology program. Wierd.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Adam!

Hello hello hello!

I finally listened to Mr. Blue Sky... I guess I'm glad that reminds you of me. I like happy songs... and Jeff Lynne is cool. Sorry I haven't had a chance to call you back yet. School has been a real pain in the ass lately. But this week isn't so bad so I can call you soon. We have much to catch up on! Hope you're doing well, bud. Take care!

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home